Saturday, March 5, 2011

Home

Richard Foster has written widely on the topic of prayer and spiritual formation and is a reputable thinker who has provided insights for many on their spiritual pilgrimage.


Although I have read a lot of his writings, I am still stunned by the simplicity of his brief prayer...

"God...free me to be at home with you."


These nine words profoundly shape the desire of my heart. These nine words express my authentic longing for His presence.

When I pray this prayer, it frees me from what Brennan Manning calls, "functional atheism" - the belief that nothing is happening unless we are making it happen. When I pray, "God...free me to be at home with you," then I have the joy of waiting for His presence and voice, and that is a safe place.


God's response to our prayer?  Welcome Home!

No comments: