Monday, March 28, 2011

Quiet

I am an early riser. I have not always been that way, but I am finding it easier to get up early and enjoy the quiet and stillness of the early morning. It is amazing to sit in the quiet and enjoy the peaceful moments before the day is unleashed.


Several years ago, a friend recommended a book to me. His description was, "this is the best devotional book I have ever read." (special thanks to Dr. Richard Wilson for your recommendation.) Now that is a heady recommendation with all of the books published to encourage spiritual growth.


The title of the book is, "The Seeking Heart" by Francois Fenelon. His writings reflect his work as a French Roman Catholic Archbishop, Missionary, Poet, and Spiritual Guide. 


I have read it several times and each time I pick it up in the quiet early morning hours something happens to me. I am reminded that although his writings are 300 years old, they still speak with a timely relevance to my life.


This week I will be sharing some of the insights Fenelon has given to me and how they have searched the crevasses of my soul.


Fenelon says, "An active personality, accustomed to lots of activity, will faint in solitude. Only when you are completely exhausted will you seek a quieter life." 


In an age of busy-ness and frenzied activity, solitude and quietness are foreign commodities. That is one of the reasons that I rise early. I have found a bonanza of blessings in the quietness of the morning. A quieter life throughout the day begins in solitude.


I agree with my friend, The Seeking Heart is the best devotional book I have ever read. I hope that my thoughts this week will whet your appetite to be "fully present in this moment." I hope you will rise a little earlier than you normally would and savor the quietness.

Keep your eyes open for Fenelon's thoughts early each day this week...

No comments: