Monday, March 24, 2008

Costanza


Every opportunity I get, I watch one of my favorite television shows…Seinfeld. It is a show about “nothing.”

Yet, everything you can imagine happens in twenty two minutes of comedy.

One of the primary characters is George Costanza. He is the lifelong friend of Jerry Seinfeld and the show’s resident philosopher.

Elaine, his friend, describes George as a
“short, stocky, slow witted bald man.”

His escapades and lying are legendary.

Jerry seems to admire George's ability to lie. Jerry says that George is duplicitous, deceitful and a pathological liar, yet he is quick to get his advice. In the episode entitled, “The Beard,” George seems enamored with his own ability to bend the truth.

He says,
“Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it.”

Our culture seems to buy this “lie.”

Recently, I was watching and George was caught in a precarious spot. He was trying to come up with a solution to the problem he was facing. When he could not come up with a lie he blurted out,
“I’ve got nothing, Jerry, I’ve got nothing…”

Our culture is not quick to make this admission.

Recently I was thinking…”I’ve got nothing…” That may seem like an admission of weakness, but I am beginning to think that it is an admission of strength.

Once upon a time I read a statement that has changed the direction of my life. It sounds something like this,
“apart from me you can do nothing.”

“I’ve got nothing…”

No comments: