Thursday, March 27, 2008

Signs

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign
blocking out the scenery
breaking my mind.
Don't do this, don't do that...
Can't you read the sign?
5 Man Electric Band - 1970

This sign hangs in the local Border's bookstore.

I am not sure why it intrigues me, but there is something about this sign that hangs from the ceiling that grabs my attention. It may be because I am easily impressed and distracted by signs.

"All things local..."

John Wesley said, "the whole world is my parish."

There is a sign at the end of the parking lot at church that says, "the mission field begins here."

"All things local..."

Another sign I saw recently said, "think globally, act locally."

All of these signs have caused me to stop and think. Yes, I can be concerned about needs half way around the world, yes, I can think of pandemics that are raging in 3rd world countries, and yes, I can ponder the plight of millions of people in other places. But what about the people that I meet every day?

I am not suggesting that we ignore global needs. I am suggesting that our influence and ministry begins locally.

Do you have any friends outside of the church you attend? Do you have relationships with people who are not in some way associated with the church that you attend? Are you sharing your story of the difference that His Story has made in your life with someone?

Are you living in a world where, "all things" are "local?"

"May God, who puts all things together, makes all things whole..." Hebrews 13:18 (The Message)

What do you think?

No comments: