Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Letitgo


Everyone has experienced a hurt or a disappointment during their life.

I am not talking about minor things along the way. I am not talking about moments of disappointment that come in the course of everyday living.

I am talking about those “life changing” moments when our expectations were dashed, moments when our hopes were unfulfilled. Those moments which hang in the air like smoke from a smoldering fire.

Talking with people, I have heard stories that trapped the storyteller in a quagmire of bitterness and anger. The toxicity of those moments made it seem like the events and disappointments were yesterday when they actually occurred years ago.
Yesterday I talked with a person who was trapped and angry. They were carrying the "weight of the world" on their shoulders. The glass was "half empty" and the "pity party" was in full swing.

I said it. I used a “made up” word.

Letitgo.

Let…it…go. Easier said than done, and I realize that.

But I also realize that past experiences, disappointments and hurts can hang like a “two ton boulder” around our neck.

I have had huge rocks sitting on my shoulders from time to time, who hasn't? When those moments come, we are faced with a choice.

My hurt? or His hand?
I choose His hand.

Letitgo….His hand? No! My disappointments, hurts and unfulfilled expectations? Yes.

'Because I, your God, have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go. I'm telling you, 'Don't panic. I'm right here to help you.' Isaiah 41:13

What do you think?

No comments: