Saturday, March 29, 2008

Flimflam


I love how this word feels when it flows out of my mouth....flimflam.


I wish I would have discovered this word, but I didn't. I love saying it even though I don't use it very often. You can only use this word every so often. Overuse it and people begin to think that something is wrong with you.


The origin of this word is very interesting. It was the second half of the 16th century that saw its birth as a noun. The verb form appeared in the next century. Scandinavia was probably its country of origin and is taken from the Old Norse word flim meaning "deception" or "mockery."


There are several synonyms for "deception." Here are a couple of my favorites..."hornswoggle" and "bamboozle." I haven't used either of these recently, but the first chance I get, I will.


In a "flimflam age" truth often seems obscured by the wiles of culture.


We refuse to wear masks and play games. We don't maneuver and manipulate behind the scenes. And we don't twist God's Word to suit ourselves. Rather, we keep everything we do and say out in the open, the whole truth on display, so that those who want to can see and judge for themselves in the presence of God. II Corinthians 4:2 (The Message)


No '"flimflam" here....just transparency.


I am always a little suspicious when someone says, "let me be honest with you."


Flimflam.


What do you think? Be honest...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have a lot of interesting words in Texas.

Mom'n'em is one of my favorites. It is often heard when two folks greet one another after not seeing each other for some time. Its proper usage is an inquiry into the health and welfare of the maternal influence upon one's life. As in "How's your Mom'n'em?"