Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thursday


Maundy Thursday.


Today is an essential part of Holy Week. It is the holy day which falls on Thursday before Easter. It is the day that the church remembers the Last Supper with Jesus disciples.


The church historically has called to memory several other important events that brought meaning to this day.


Jesus as a suffering servant washed the disciples feet in an act of humility. Jesus celebrates the Eucharist with his followers. He experiences agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and experiences the ultimate betrayal by Judas Iscariot.


Nothing comforting about these experiences. Deep calling to deep...All pointing to the Cross.


Tomorrow I will go downtown to a large church and bask in the mystery of the Stations of the Cross. Posted on the walls of the cathedral are images that remind me of the events of Holy Week. Prompted by reading Tony Jones book, The Sacred Way, I have been on a path to re-visit the roots of our faith.


It came together when I read these words...


"Somehow Christianity has become a non-mystical religion. Its about a reasonable faith. If we believe the right things, then we are orthodox. Frankly whether we ever actually connect to God or experience His undeniable presence has become incidental, if not irrelevant. We have become believers rather than experiencers. To know God in the Scriptures always went beyond information to intimacy. We may find ourselves uncomfortable with this reality, but the faith of the Scriptures is a mystical faith. It leads us beyond the material world into an invisible reality." Erwin Raphael McManus-Barbarian Way


Maundy Thursday. I know the details. I know the facts. I want to experience the events. I want to feel the texture of the moment. I want to be "fully present in the moment."


I take the next step on my pilgrimage through Lent. Today they are lonely steps...


I celebrate the mystery...


Where are your steps taking you today?

No comments: