Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Simple


"It's so simple that even a caveman can do it."

"It's a piece of cake..."

"How hard can it (fill in the blank) be?"

"What's so hard about that?"


Have you ever said any of those things. I am guilty.


There have been times that things have broken in my home or on my car and I stand there and say, "how hard can it be to fix that?"


Several hours later I am standing at the kitchen counter calling someone who knows what to do to fix the problem. Smart? Yes. Humbling? You betcha!


I love this story...


Chrsyler under the stalwart leadership of Lee Iacocca made a decision to reintroduce the convertible to the market.


The story unfolds with Iacocca driving around suburban Detroit. He passed someone in an old Mustang convertible. Startling his driver he shouted over the front seat, "That's what Chrysler needs...we need a convertible"

Getting back to his office he summoned the head of Engineering to his office. Worrying that he might lose his job the engineer hurried upstairs where he heard Iacocca's proposal.


"Well" he said "usually the production cycle is about five years. I guess if we lit a fire underneath the engineering department we could have a convertible come off the line in about three years."


“You don’t understand,” Iacocca said. “I want one today! Have someone take one of our cars to a body shop, have them cut off the roof, and put on a convertible top.”

In Paul Harvey fashion..."and now you know the rest of the story...Iacocca had the modified car by the end of the day. He spent the rest of the week driving his “convertible” and found that everyone who saw it loved it. A Chrysler convertible was on the drawing board the following week.


Do we make simple things difficult. I really wonder if we take things that are incredibly simple and make them complex.


Our culture tells us that if we are to be really effective, we need to plan, organize, budget,and then....


What if it is really simple?


You say, "I don't know enough Bible....I have never been trained to tell others about God...I am not a pastor...yada...yada...yada."


What if it is as simple as "telling the story of what He has done in our life? No gimmicks, no steps, no formula....Just a simple story that points to His Story.


Go ahead...tell someone The Story


Enjoy the ride....




No comments: