Friday, November 14, 2008

Bucket


Tonight the whole family was home and we ate a wonderful lasagna dinner together. It was like "old times" except just 10 years later. After dinner we sat around the living room and popped a dvd in the player.


Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman entertained us with the story of two terminally ill patients who break free from a cancer ward and take a trip around the world. They create a list of things that they want to do before they "kick the bucket." Thus the "bucket" list.


While still in the hospital they created a list of things they want to do before they die.


Witness something truly majestic

Help a complete stranger for a common good

Laugh till I cry

Drive a Shelby Mustang

Kiss the most beautiful girl in the world

Get a tattoo

Skydiving

Visit Stonehenge

Spend a week at the Louvre

See Rome

See the pyramids

Get back in touch


I don't want to ruin the movie for you if you haven't seen it. But it is a story of faith, life and questions.


Edward Cole, played by Jack Nicholson describes his difficulty in believing in a God who exists. He says, "I envy people who have faith, I just can't get my head around it." Carter Chambers, played by Morgan Freeman responds with a profound statement. He says, "Maybe because your head's in the way."


That is a great line and is illustrative of why so many people struggle with their faith. Often times our heads block our hearts in our journey of faith.


Tonight I want my heart to be wide open and my mind to be open as well. Think I will put that on my "bucket list."

No comments: