Thursday, November 6, 2008

LaMott


Anne LaMott has recently written a book entitled, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.


I was in the Salvation Army Thrift Store in downtown Detroit two weeks ago and was looking through the book shelves tucked in the back of the warehouse when I ran across LaMott's book.


I had seen it before on Amazon.com and at Borders but I was not ready to fork over $15 for her book.


Imagine my surprise when I opened up the paperback and saw the price...99 cents.


How sad that a book on writing by a prolific writer would land in a warehouse in downtown Detroit for less than a dollar.


I purchased the book and begin reading it immediately.


LaMott quotes Kurt Vonnegut another great writer who said, "When I write, I feel like an armless legless man with a crayon in his mouth."


LaMott says that it is not uncommon to find the task of writing to be a difficult one. I can identify with that challenge at times.


Writing is not an easy task, but it is a rewarding one.


I was delighted to find the book for 99 cents because it is clearly worth more than that. One of the fears that I have of getting a book published is that it could end up in a warehouse downtown with 99 cents penciled inside the front page.


Fortunately I am not writing with a crayon in my mouth.


For all you artists, writers, dreamers, schemers and creators...keep plying your trade. And if you have a crayon in your mouth use it to be creative.

No comments: