Monday, November 24, 2008

Nostalgia


On Saturday my wife and I took a trip back in time…

We spent the day with friends in Marshall, Michigan. It was founded in 1830 and was designed to be the capitol of Michigan. It is a town of less than 8,000 residents, but it is a town that has over 800 buildings listed on the National Register of Historical Places.

Most of the buildings are from the mid 19th century and beckon you back to an era in time that has long past.

We walked the streets and went in and out of antique shops, drank coffee and ate in a historic restaurant in the town.

The weather was cold but the time was accentuated by awarmth that cannot be recorded by a weather thermometer.

While I was walking down the main street I thought,
“if these buildings could talk.”

There were Dry Goods Stores, apothecary shop, old theatre and beautiful churches.

It is obvious that the work of people’s hands from the mid 1800’s has stood the test of time. It makes me wonder what I am doing today that will be here 150 years from now. What buildings are being erected that will still be standing in 2150? What thoughts am I thinking today that will last 150 years from now?

It’s funny what kind of thoughts pop into your head while you are walking down the street.

1 comment:

Javier Morales said...

Waooo, Simplicity is equal magnificent. Some times I wonder if our complexity keep us from creating magnificent results in our life.