Friday, November 21, 2008

Pizza


This evening I went into the local pizza palace to order a pizza for dinner.


I must have been invisible to the young man behind the counter as he talked on the phone. Finally, after what seemed like forever he motioned and whispered, "be with you in a sec...."


Several minutes later he took my order.


He wanted to know my name. I usually tell people my name is Mephibosheth because I love their reaction. But tonight I was in a "low blood sugar" moment so I gave him my real name.


He placed the order and mumbled that it would be ten or fifteen minutes.


I retreated to the car to wait for my pizza. Ambitiously I went back inside at about 8 minutes 42 seconds. Another guy said, "may I help you?' I gave him my name and he went behind the counter and pulled out a pizza from what appeared to be a stack of filled orders. It made me wonder if my pizza was fresh.


I paid and left.


Here are some thoughts about buying pizza on Friday nite at the local pizza palace.


1. I miss the days when the dough would be cut from a mound, rolled out and tossed in the air. All this was done without wearing protective handwear.


2. I miss the days when the choices were "the special" or cheese pizza. There are combinations available today that make me wonder if some of the concoctions were designed by a committee.


3. I miss the days when pizza parlors were run by Guido or one of his relatives. No high school work force, just Guido and his paesanos.


The one thing that has remained constant is my love for pizza whether it comes from an olde pizza joint or from the franchise fiascos.


I ate pizza tonite and remembered the good ole days.

No comments: