Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Report


I tucked my book underneath my arm and headed for the parking lot. Getting into my car I was making last minute preparations for my trip to the poll to cast my vote.


Pulling into the parking lot I had my choice of parking spaces. Where were all of the long lines?


I got out of my car and entered the polling place. Where were all of the long lines?


I showed my photo ID and filled out the paperwork to prepare to vote.


The "Election Inspector" peered in my direction as I received my ballot.


I still had my book underneath my arm in anticipation of waiting in long lines. I put it down and entered the voting stall. Opening my folder, the ballot awaited my pencil.


Seeing all of the names of the candidates reminded me that each has a story. I wish I knew each of their narratives, not the ones that are projected in their campaign advertisements.


After a few minutes I completed voting and turned around and waited to feed my ballot into the scanner so that my vote would be recorded. In a matter of a few minutes I had completed my civic responsibility, all without having an opportunity to read my book.


Here are three observations that I want to make as I reflect on today:


1. Nobody asked me how I voted as I left the polling place. Who are these people that take part in "exit polls?"

2. I wonder if John McCain will call back next week to see how I voted? He called today asking for my vote.

3. Tomorrow there will not be any campaign commercials on TV. I wonder who is going to declare their candidacy for the Presidency in 2012 on Wednesday? I guess it's never to early to start thinking about 2012.


I am at home this evening and until just a few moments ago I was reading my book that I had tucked underneath my arm. It is far more interesting than listening to a group of old geezers prognosticating about who our next president will be.

No comments: