Monday, November 10, 2008

Clueless


"Don't pay any attention to him....he's clueless."


"What would they know? They're clueless"


Clueless means, "totally uninformed about what is going on." Do you know anybody that fits that category? Have you ever met someone that was clueless and didn't even know it?


Douglas Coupland, author of J Pod, tells the story of a group of slackers who walk through life in a state of "informed cluelessness." He calls them "wage-slave hamsters in the wheel called life."


It really is a funny novel that speaks to the culture and experiences of today's young work force. As I read it recently, I was reminded of all of the external media sources that seek to shape our life experiences.


I think I may have reached the saturation point of media information. I can't bear to watch one more report on the economy, the election results, the decorating budget for the new White House residents, the bailout, the presidential transition, the murder rate in my community, the status of the Big Three, and a thousand other topics. I long for a cessation of media coverage of every possible topic.


I think I would like to be clueless for a little while on what the media thinks is important.


But we continue to be bombarded daily. This constant barrage of images and sound bites hinders the "quietness of His presence."


Coupland says, "I think people in the year 2020 are going to be nostalgic for the sensation of feeling clueless." p.248.


It's 2008 and that feeling is already rushing over me. I want to stand up and say, "Enough is enough!" Let me just experience life through the prism of my experiences and His grace rather than having the media tell me what to think and feel.


Maybe its an "age and stage" issue, but I am meeting people on a regular basis that are longing for a simple life lived at a pace that allows you to be fully present in every moment.


How goes your journey?

1 comment:

Tom said...

Clueless can be a good thing. People all around me get paid a lot and are clueless...In your case, what about boycotting the news and any other form of media saturation of events and opinions. It would be difficult to do (like walking through a coal mine without getting dirty)...but maybe necessary at least for a time. In the meantime and in the event a boycott is initiated by you, and when the media sneaks in - do what a great friend of mine has promoted. He said to be sangfroid. In this day and age we need "sangfroid...composure in the face of difficulty or danger."