Sunday, November 2, 2008

Clocks


"If I just had one more hour in the day..."


How many times have you found yourself saying that? How many times have you felt like you did not have enough time to get everything done that you wanted to do?


With an additional hour I now will have time to walk around my house and re-set all of our clocks.


In adjusting them I noticed that no two clocks had the same time.


One clock was adjusted 10 minutes ahead to insure that we get out the door on time. It makes me wonder if it really works or not.


One clock on the stove was several minutes off the real time.


One of the clocks will adjust itself later on.


My cell phone adjusts for the time change automatically.


And my computer will remind me tomorrow morning that the clock has re-set.


Recently we replaced the battery in a wall clock. For several days time stood still. Without a fresh battery the clock was worthless except for two times a day.


Walking around the house and adjusting clocks has reminded me that my life could easily be governed by time. I don't want to "punch the clock" and "watch the clock." I want to be fully present in each moment. I want to savor the moment rather than look for ways to quickly get through the minutes of the day.


The writer of the book of Ecclesiastes has it right...."there is a time for everything." I affirm again..."my times are in your hands."

No comments: