Saturday, November 29, 2008

Eggs


Which came first the chicken or the egg?


People still laugh when I tell them that I am the proud owner of 14 chickens. Buff Orpington chickens to be exact.


They are the most wonderful pets you can have. You seldom have to clean up after them. They don't need to be house broken. They don't keep you up at night and they never have to got to the veterinarian.


And they produce eggs. 14 fresh eggs daily!


We make omelets, scramble them, fry them and make yummy deserts with them. Martha Stewart would be proud.


Periodically I take a dozen eggs to friends and they look at me with a puzzled expression on their face. "Why would you bring me eggs?" Then I get to tell them about my chickens and they are amazed. Usually they are more than willing to take the eggs.


Oh, by the way....the eggs are brown eggs and they are phenomenal.


I am never going to get rich selling eggs. Truth be told, if I actually sold them for the money that I have invested in the girls the cost would be around $14 a dozen. So I give them away. And I get more than $14 worth of excitement in seeing people's faces.


This afternoon a family is bringing their grandchildren over to visit the chickens. We will collect the eggs, package them and send them home with several dozen. It will be fun to watch their expressions and to see the joy that chickens and eggs bring.


The simple life.....aaaaaaahhh!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, how is my favorite griot? Writer's block? Or "Busy" block?