Thursday, February 12, 2009

Basketball


Tonight my son and I went to a local high school basketball game downtown.


He is doing his student teaching at the oldest high school in Flint. It is a school that is in the throes of transition and change.


So this evening we went downtown to watch some of his students play basketball.


It was a great evening. Not only was I with my son, but I had the privilege of walking around in his world. Usually he spends a lot of time walking around in my world, but tonight I was following him around. He was being greeted by staff, students and others in the gymnasium.


When we got to the ticket window, he flashed his faculty badge and got in for free. I paid $5.


He got free popcorn at halftime and he shared the bag with me.


He knew everybody and I knew only him. It made me feel important being seen with him.


The strangest thing happened when we looked at the program with all of the team rosters. The first name on the Junior Varsity roster was the exact same name as my son.


We laughed and then it hit me. I was sitting beside my son who is a young professional adult watching a kid play basketball that reminded me of him when he was in 8th grade.


We laughed some more and shared a bag of Skittles. We laughed all the way home.


I am glad that he is my son, and I am proud of him! He's a great teacher!

1 comment:

Tom said...

What a great blog. I sure hope he sees this and realizes how proud you are of him.