Thursday, February 5, 2009

Failure


I could not believe it when I read it.


She failed the Driver's Test 771 consecutive times. She was taking it for the 772nd time and you guessed it. Failure.


I couldn't resist.


I had to do some further investigation.


Here is what I found.


Her name is Cha and she is a 68 year old grandmother. She lives in Wanju, North Jeolla Province according to the Korea Times. Apparently she took the exam for the first time on April 13, 2005. She failed the first time she took it, but undaunted she went the next day to re-take the exam.


She has continued this process daily with the exceptions of holidays and weekends.


If you look in Oxford English Dictionary for the word "tenacity" you will find a picture of Cha. (Just kidding....you will find the definition, but her picture should be there.)


How many times do you attempt something before you give up and say, "that's not for me!" Once? Twice? Thrice? How 'bout the sevenhundredseventyonenth" time?


Hey, I would have given up somewhere before the tenth time.


But then I began to think about Winston Churchill's speech to the graduating class where he simply said, "Never give up, Never give up, Never give up." Not only was it perhaps the shortest graduation speech on record, it could be the most profound.


Cha took Churchill's words seriously.


What's on your plate today?


What are you facing?


Cha would say, "don't give up...."


I wonder what kind of driver she will be when she eventually gets her license? Some of the drivers I meet on a daily basis drive as though they have failed the test several times themselves.


Keep at it Cha! Don't give it up...there will be much shouting and celebrating when the examiner grades her test and says, "You Passed!"


By then she may be to old to drive, but at least she will have her drivers license!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. I've missed your writing.

Don and Shirley said...

Welcome back.Cha reminds me of some Florida drivers,"Too old to drive but still with a license.

Jodi Spalding said...

Glad you're back on the blog! I've missed reading!