Saturday, February 14, 2009

Blame


The most recent headlines on the cover of Time Magazine caught my attention.


How Faith Can Heal

The Trouble with Talking to Iran

Why Boomers Hijacked Facebook

&

25 People to Blame for the Economic Mess We're In


I understand the concept.


Editors put "teasers" on the front page of their magazines to lure prospective readers inside the pages.


It worked.


I quickly glanced at the article on the 25 people on pages 20-25.


You will have to look for yourself to see who made the list. That is not the point of my thoughts this evening.


The word that I am focusing on is the word,"blame."


We live in a world that easily looks for other people to blame for our plight. We often assign blame to others for the circumstances that we find ourselves in. Sometimes we blame others when we know that we are the reason for our situation.


Here is my thought....what if more people took responsibility for their actions? It is not easy to say, "my bad!" and really mean it. I do know that it takes more effort to shirk responsibility than it does to accept responsibility.


The 25 people in the article probably have something to do with the economic mess that we're in, but there are certainly more people and more reasons that can be contained on the pages of Time Magazine.


After skimming the article and recognizing who to blame, I still didn't see any markable change to my economic conditions.


Then it hit me....blaming others doesn't change my circumstances.


When was the last time you blamed someone or something for a situation you found yourself in?


Blaming....


In the words of Dr. Phil, "how's that workin' for you?"


Hey did you notice? The Boomers hijacked Facebook? Now we know who to blame!

1 comment:

Jim Webster said...

Actually, I'm to blame for Facebook. Yup, I'm a Boomer, and I'm solely responsible for the abduction of this social networking site. I just got sick of all the uppity Gen-Xers on it that I just stole the whole thing. And it's not going back until every Gen-Xer I know personally apologizes for their generation's snotty attitude toward us. So take that, suckers!