Monday, February 16, 2009

Descriptors


"Aerodynamic Impediments"


I ran across this phrase in a news article describing one of the reasons for the crash of Continental flight 3047.


"Aerodynamic Impediments"


That is an interesting phrase.


Here's what I think it means. It means anything that prevents or impedes forward progress.


This morning I was sitting in McDonalds having a #3 Breakfast meal and the TV was on over the counter. The reporter was describing the crash of flight 3047. He said the flight "failed to make adequate forward progress." Say what? He is probably a rocket scientist.


I remember Howard Cosell describing a low extra point attempt on Monday Night Football many years ago. He said the football "had no immediacy of trajectory." Say what? Cosell was not a rocket scientist.


I have met a lot of people who "failed to make adequate forward progress" because there was "no immediacy of trajectory."


Some of it is their own making and some of it is because of circumstances beyond their control.


Here are two thoughts that have been rambling through my brain.


"Forward progress" doesn't come naturally. It requires effort. That might be why some people find it easy to "go with the flow."


Secondly, expect "aerodynamic impediments." Some people call these experiences "life."


Here are some encouraging words by someone much wiser than I am.


Psalms 25:15"If I keep my eyes on God, I won't trip over my own feet." (The Message)

1 comment:

Debbie Brown said...

Oh my. How many moments in my life are filled with no trajectory! Or there are many impediments that keep me from my goal of the day. Distractions like that flashing sign you mentioned a couple days ago as I am reading your blog backwards instead of forward. Thanks for the reminder to make every moment count for something.