Sunday, February 15, 2009

Goliath


Today I showed a graphic picture in church.


After sharing a message on David & Goliath I showed a picture of David's final triumph over the giant.


It was an illustrative picture portraying the decapitation of the giant's head.


I have heard the story of David and Goliath all of my life and realized that it was a small smooth stone that brought Goliath's life to an abrupt end. Usually that is where the story ends. Seldom do storytellers continue beyond the "thud" of a giant falling to the ground.


Today I went ahead and talked about David pulling the giant's sword and cutting Goliath's head off.


The picture showed David holding Goliath's head over his head.


I know all of this sounds gory and morose, but something struck me about the narrative found in I Samuel 17.


At the end of this busy day, there are two thoughts that have lingered throughout the afternoon.


First, David in his own strength was no match for the giant.


Second, David conquered the giant in a very simple way.


What if these two thoughts are connected? What if conquering the "giants" in our lives is simpler than we make it? What if the view of our "giants" obscure our view of the One who enables us to conquer?
Just a couple thoughts at the end of the day...

No comments: