Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Distractions


Last night we made a quick trip to the airport to pick up our daughter.


Her flight came in late and we headed to Detroit.


The traffice was normal. It was cold...around 7 degrees.


We were coasting along at 70 mph and out of the corner of my eye I saw a huge sign that said,

"Drive Carefully, Please Avoid Distractions."


The sign was flashing with high intensity lights.


I found myself focusing on the "avoid distractions" sign while cruising down the highway at 103 feet per second.


What's wrong with this picture?


A sign that says "avoid distractions" actually is a distraction.


Seems paradoxical to me.


There are a lot of distractions every day. Some hold our attention momentarily while others hold us by the throat.


Last night while heading to Detroit I was reminded that I am easily distracted. So much so that I am reflecting on it tonight nearly 24 hours later.


I need some reminders periodically to keep me focused. Some of those reminders come in the form of people like you who help me to remember that some things are important and some things aren't.


Some come in the form of readings that trigger an alarm that alerts me to the fact that I am majoring on minors.


Some come in the form of promptings which help me to discern His voice in the midst of clamoring voices.


Last night's trip to Metro Airport was a great diversion, and the sign came at just the right time.


Drive Carefully. Please Avoid Distractions

No comments: