Sunday, February 8, 2009

Facebook

I have been chided....cajoled...and coaxed to join and use Facebook.



Harvard University student Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook. At its inception it was designed for Harvard students only. Soon students in the Boston area connected through Facebook. Other colleges began to be connected through Zuckerberg's creation. High School students soon signed on and signed in.


Young adults were next. Middle adults followed. And now people of all ages are on Facebook. There are over 150 million people who "facebook" on a daily basis.


This is a virtual on-line community of people who get acquainted and renew acquaintances.


I have friends and family who keep in contact with each other every day.


But I have resisted adding another demand to my schedule. I admit to having a Facebook account but I do not use it. My wife has an account and is connected to friends old and new. My kids are connected, but I have lived vicariously through their facebooks.


Here is the question....Can I survive without Facebook? I mean can I really exist without regularly checking in to the virtual community?


Do my friends still care about me even though I don't talk to them everyday through Facebook? Does everybody else in the world need to see what I say to my friends?


Have I failed to "keep up with the times" when I neglect Facebook?


What do you think? Stay tuned. Watch for me on Facebook? Maybe....

2 comments:

Tom said...

I am with you 100% brother. I too have resisted it and simply do not have time for yet another thing to occupy my time. Cell phone and emails do just fine for me thank you.

Jodi Spalding said...

I caved long about October last year. I was on all the time at first setting up the account, adding friends, pictures, etc... Now, I don't have time, all the time, everyday, but when I do have time, it is nice to have the luxury of connecting with friends of yesteryear, with whom I would otherwise have no contact. It is fun to look at pictures of their families and life experiences and how they've changed. It doesn't have to consume you. You can set up your account to email you notifications of things that are important to you, like when someone requests to be your friend, or writes on your "wall", so you don't necessarily have to log in to know what is going on. You can use Facebook as much or as little as YOU want... It's your FACE & it's your BOOK!!! =D
HTH! (<--- HTH = Hope this helps!)