Friday, February 6, 2009

Evening


Hushed tones of melodious singing filled the auditorium as Garrison Keillor regaled his fans with stories and songs from Lake Wobegon. Last night I went to see Garrison Keillor.


I sat in awe as he plied his storytelling craft.


I was amazed as he brought characters to life and made you believe that they existed in real life.


I was out of breath as Keillor massaged the intellect of those gathered in The Whiting.


For two hours he sang, told stories, laughed and whispered anecdotes that warmed my heart.


Looking over the crowd there were three things that struck me....


First, this was an NPR crowd for sure. Second, they recognized a great story when they heard it. Thirdly the crowd seemed thirsty for something beyond an evening of entertainment. Garrison Keillor didn't disappoint.


Every Saturday evening Keillor gathers "believers" into the Fitzgerald Theatre in St. Paul, Minnesota for an evening of "worship." Now, I know some of you are thinking that those words are being wasted on an evening of secular entertainment. But hear me out....


Shouldn't our "gatherings" be filled with stories and songs that point to One who is real? I wonder if "believers" recognize the Story when it is told? I wonder if when we gather we look for something beyond entertainment?


Say what you will....last night I worshipped as I sat in The Whiting.


I was disappointed to hear that Lake Wobegon isn't a real place. I was sad to learn that Guy Noir is a figment of Keillor's imagination. Oh, well...for a few moments I realized that stories have the power to change hearts and minds.


I have one prayer...God, help me to be the kind of storyteller that accurately portrays the power of your Story. Help me to do it in a convincing way...in a way that satisfies you. Thank you for entrusting me with your Story.


Stay tuned for more stories.....

1 comment:

Don and Shirley said...

He's one of my favorites.