Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Attention

Recently someone said to me, "I think God is trying to get my attention. I think he wants me to do something specific, I just don't know what it is."

Admittedly, I have felt that frustrating feeling before. 

All of this has made me think. I really believe God is trying to get our attention, however, I don't think he is always trying to get our attention to "do" something. I think sometimes he is trying to get our attention for the sake of having our attention.

Often times we think He is calling us for some specific task, so we labor over trying to discover what it is when maybe all He is trying to do is to call us and get our attention. Maybe he wants us to have "seeking hearts" and "be fully present" in his Presence.

Several years ago I had the privilege of attending graduation ceremonies for a young Marine at Parris Island, South Carolina. Young men marched onto the parade grounds and a tough drill instructor barked orders and called the Marines to attention. It was interesting to watch. The order was given...."Attention" and every Marine stood poised, facing forward, fully attentive awaiting the next order. It was obvious he had their attention.

I am not suggesting that God is a Marine Drill Instructor, although many people perceive God that way. I am offering that God wants our attention. Sometimes in the midst of trying to discern what God is saying or trying to figure out what God wants us to do, we can miss the simple fact that all He wants is our attention.

So today, I am going to give Him my full attention. I am not going to try to figure out what He wants me to "do" at the expense of failing to be attentive.

Marines know the opposite of "Attention" is "At Ease." That is what happens when He has our attention. We can be "At Ease."  Try it today, you will be pleasantly surprised!

No comments: