Monday, April 18, 2011

Hospitality

Hospitality is a lost art.

Few seem to have the desire or ability to be hospitable in ways that sweep people into moments of connection.

It may be even harder to define or describe, but one certainly knows when they are participating in hospitable moments.  I have experienced people's hospitality in the simplest of ways and in some of the most unexpected places, both have been refreshing.

I have been reading Eugene Peterson's book entitled, The Pastor, A Memoir, over the last couple of days. In his writings he describes his wife and her hospitable ways. Even though he is a prolific writer who pens his ideas with precision, he seems to struggle to define "hospitality."


If Jan (his wife) had to give a name to what she was doing, it would probably be something on the order of "hanging around this intersection between and earth and seeing what there is to be done." p. 194.

Reading those words last night reminded me that his wife's words are not a bad way to live. 

Flannery O'Connor writes similar words. "The writer operates at a similar crossroads where time and place and eternity somehow meet. His problem is to find that location." At the risk of scandalizing Flannery O'Connor's thoughts, I wonder if you can insert the word "hospitable person" in the place of "writer?" I wonder if you can insert the word, "pilgrim" into her phrase.

My assignment for the day is to explore this "intersection" between "heaven and earth." My task is to keep my eyes open for opportunities for "hospitality" and the place where "time and place and eternity" meet.

That shouldn't be difficult, because everywhere I go today and every person I meet will be at the vortex of his grace. I get to be another "extender of his grace" in an un-hospitable world.

I love how Eugene Peterson translates, 3 John 1:5..."Dear friends, when you extend hospitality to Christian brothers and sisters, even when they are strangers, you make the faith visible."

Here is the bottom line...when we are "hospitable" we are "making the faith visible." Who knew it could be fun to make the faith visible by simply being hospitable?

No comments: