Saturday, April 9, 2011

Thinking

Culture is changing and expectations are changing with it.

Years ago, pastors, insurance salesmen, and doctors made "house calls." It was an easier time and life seemed to moved at a slower pace.

Fast forward to today and "house calls" are a thing of the past. Today's version of "house calls" are "mouse calls" as the computer provides an avenue into the homes of people.

All of this has caused me to wonder about how we impact the lives of people. Admittedly, I get a lot more "mouse calls" than "house calls" and that is OK for the most part. But every once in a while it is nice to meet with people face to face and to move from the exchange of information to the interchange of conversation.

I am thinking about ways to close the gap between "house calls" and "mouse calls." I recognize that most people do not want their privacy invaded by knocking on their front door, but I also realize that if people have a choice between a computer message or a face to face conversation, I think I know their choice.

Some messages have to be conveyed by email or text, but there are some messages that can only be conveyed personally whether it is in somebody's house or over a table in a coffee shop.

So, let me encourage you to resist the temptation to "shoot a quick text" and talk "face to face" with someone today.

No comments: