Monday, April 11, 2011

Planning

Most days I start out with a plan and a "to do list." I learned this strategy early and yet there are days when I don't even come close to completing the list.

Recently I was reading and ran across a Latin phrase that has been instructive and liberating.


"hominum confusione et dei providential"


Roughly translated it means, "according to man's confusion and God's providence." The modern expression is more familiar, "man plans and God laughs."


I am not against planning and preparing for the day, but I am wondering if our rigid plans sometimes crowd out His plan. I wonder if there are times when we plan and God looks over the edge of heaven and says, "go for it" knowing that our feeble plans pale in significance to His plans.


Today I head off to a gathering of fellow pilgrims on the journey. The plan for today is well laid out and all of the players are ready. I wonder if God's providence will break through our confusion. I sure hope so.


I am not praying about my fellow pilgrims as much as I am praying that "my confusion" will be replaced with "God's providence." 


What would happen if we laid our plans at His feet and embraced His Providence and Plans? It's my plan to find out throughout the hours of this day. Why not look for His fingerprints today and resist the temptation to make an imprint on the lives of people we will meet today?

"hominum confusione et dei providential"

No comments: