Thursday, April 14, 2011

Suffixes

I love the English language...It is not an easy language to learn and even more difficult to master. I am learning it daily and will never master it.

Consider the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy tried to teach her husband the different pronunciations to the following words;


Tough
Dough
Through

This language lesson nearly cost them their television marriage and provided laughs for those that have struggled with syntax, pronunciation and parts of speech.

This morning I was thinking about two simple suffixes that make a huge difference.

The first suffix is "-ed" and the second suffix is "-ing"

Here are some examples of the same word with each of the suffixes.

Lived or Living...there is a big difference between the two of these...One is on a gravestone the other isn't. We have a choice...Enough said.

Loved or Loving....there is a big difference between the two of these...Our families, friends and colleagues know which is which in our lives even though we may not. Ouch!

Served or Serving...there is a big difference between the two of these...watch the next time people get together for conversation and a meal. I like to be served, but that is upside down when I consider His call.

Saved or Saving....there is a big difference between the two of these...I know a lot of the first and I am seeing a lot of the second who authentically live out their faith commitments. I used to say, "I am saved,""saved." more and more I am convinced that I am being

There a  thousand other words whose meanings change when different suffixes are added. 

"-ed" indicates past tense and "-ing" means progressive or continuous action.

What would happen if our lives were "progressive" and lives of "continuous action" rather than lived in the "-ed" of past tense?

Consider words that describe your life and ask if they have a "-ed" or "-ing" suffix. It is never to late to make your life an "-ing" life in a world that values and treasures "-ed." 

I am head-"ing" out to face the world...I am keeping my eyes open for "-ing" experiences!

1 comment:

Tom said...

Thought provoking. Good stuff.