Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lazy

I just returned from the annual gathering of fellow pilgrims...pastors...saints...apprentices and seekers. In our tribe we call this event District Assembly. It is a two day gathering to rehearse the activity of God in our communities of faith, it is a time to explore the terrain of God's grace in our fields of service, and it is a time to think about the whisperings of God as we look to the future.

I have been attending these meetings for over twenty five years. They have had a similar rhythm for as long as I can remember and yet this year was different. Like bookends, the gathering opened with a challenging reminder to extend the borders of the Kingdom through planting house churches and congregations and concluded with a stirring concert of prayer to seek the face of God for the task that lies ahead of us.

In between there were reports, videos, reports, offerings, reports, voting, reports, financial appeals and reports. Did I mention "reports?"

One of the saddest reports from the whole gathering was made by a fellow pastor who had failed to meet the requirements of submitting a written report for his local vineyard. It seemed like we were nearing the end of the reporting and a final appeal was made for anyone who had not reported. 

Someone pointed out the fact that "he" had not reported. So his name was called. Sheepishly he stumbled from his seat and mumbled under his breath, "I know, I know...I didn't turn a report in, I'm just a lazy pastor."

Say what?  

It is one thing to be a "lazy pastor" and another thing to admit it under your breath to colleagues. I was saddened by his words and wonder about the circumstances surrounding his failure to submit a written report. The temptation is to judge and make sweeping generalizations about why he had not met his obligation. 

Then I stopped.

Behind every sigh and idle word is a story. Could it be that there was a legitimate reason for his appeared negligence and the only way he knew how to diffuse his embarrassment was to make a humorous comment? Could it be that he allowed other things to get in the way? I don't know.

Here is what I learned in between the challenging opening message and the concert of prayer...if I am going to quickly judge another person without knowing the whole story, I may minimize my effectiveness to live out the Story that I am called to proclaim. 

He gave his report and it seemed a little depressing. It probably wasn't, but I had difficulty hearing what he said, because of his opening comments under his breath. I pray that this year will be filled with the "applause of heaven" over his ministry efforts so he can report next year on time and with gusto.  What I pray for him, I pray for myself and my fellow shepherds. See you next year at the Assembly.

No comments: