Wednesday, April 6, 2011

South

Here were the directions....

"Go down this road three curves, take a right....go across the bayou...take a right on the gravel road and follow that road for a ways...then you are there."

Those are not very definitive directions, but eventually we found our way to Griffin Hills Cemetery in Lone Pine, Louisiana.The reason for the journey was to locate the grave markers for members from my extended family. 

Winding our way down a little path through a chain link fence gate, the cemetery opened before us.

We walked around looking for evidence of lives lived in the early part of the twentieth century. We found the markers. Walking among the tombstones I thought about the lady who had given me directions to get the cemetery. 

Standing in the cemetery my mind was transformed to all of the stories of those who were laid to rest in Griffin Hills Cemetery. 

Finally, I thought about the directions to the cemetery. The lady who pointed me in the direction of Griffin Hills was a prophetess...She described the journey of every serious pilgrim.


"Go down this road three curves, take a right....go across the bayou...take a right on the gravel road and follow that road for a ways...then you are there." 


Do those directions sound familiar to you? Has your journey had some curves? Have you ever crossed muddy water? Any gravel roads on your journey? Ever feel like you have been on the road for a long ways...


Hang in there...


Her words were confusing to me when I stood on her porch and received directions. They were abundantly clear when I arrived at my destination...


"You are there..."

No comments: