Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday

God be in my head, and in my understanding
God be in my eyes, and in my looking
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking
God be in my heart, and in my thinking
God be at my end, and in my departing.
From a 15th Century French Book of Hours

Praying a prayer like this requires honesty at every level. It encompasses the things we understand, the things we look at, the words we speak and the thoughts that come into our mind.

Frankly, it easy for me to pray for some of these things and think I have prayed. Rarely, do I pray prayers that ask God to direct my understanding, looking, speaking and thinking.

I want my life to be shaped by my prayer life. 

Richard Rohr, writing in Everything Belongs, says..."Prayer is not primarily saying words or thinking thoughts. It is, rather, a stance, a way of being present. It's a way of living in the Presence, living in awareness of the Presence, and even of enjoying the Presence."

Prayer is what it means to be "fully present" in every moment.

So, I am praying that God will increase my understanding...open my eyes to see...guide the words I say today and assist my thinking.

What will shape your life today?

No comments: