Friday, September 5, 2008

Adventure


Every day is an adventure.


You never know what a day will bring. Today was a busy day of last minute preparations getting ready for a late afternoon departure to Louisiana.


Hurricane Gustav left its mark on the Gulf Coast and we are answering the call to help meet the immediate needs of those who call Baton Rouge home.


Baton Rouge holds fond memories for me as a child.


It is home to Louisiana State University and "Pistol Pete" Maravich. I remember as a child the surprise when my dad came home and announced we were going on a road trip. Imagine my shock when we walked into the field house and saw Pete Maravich play basketball on a sunny afternoon. He scored over 50 points that afternoon.

It is home to Dr. Tim, a physician who cares for students at Louisiana State University. He and I attended first grade together at Huddle Elementary School in Alexandria, Lousiana. I haven't seen him since first grade, and probably won't get a chance to see him. But he calls Baton Rouge home.


It is home to some dear family friends who have known my family for ages. The last time I saw them was when I worked in New Orleans and I heard someone calling my name. I turned around and there they were. Her comment was, "you look just like your father." I'll take that as a compliment.


It is home to thousands of people who have been adversely affected by Gustav. It will be an adventure to meet them and hear their stories.


I am sitting in the middle seat of a 2007 Yukon heading toward Baton Rouge. I can't wait to arrive. According to the GPS we will arrive at 11:37 am Saturday.


Then I hear someone saying to me...."you look just like your father." I think that is true everytime we respond affirmatively to the direction that He leads us.


I'll take that as a compliment.


Coasting along I-69 South and enjoying the ride!


Stay tuned.

No comments: