Monday, September 15, 2008

Holiness


On Sunday I started a series on the concept of Holiness.


I want to be able to communicate that the way of Holiness is something that is often misunderstood but something that is essential to the life of the serious pilgrim.


I have been wrestling with ways to meaningful describe what I feel in my heart about this subject. It is easy to go to sources and read what others think and say about holiness. It is tempting to allow other sources to shape my thoughts and words. But I have opted to allow the Word to speak and bring definition to this important tenet of the faith.


So I am journeying through the scriptural narrative in an effort to explore the terrain of holiness.


Sunday I shared the first nugget that I have gleaned from my studies. I shared it and realize that it is an obvious statement, but sometimes it is in the apparent things of life that the depth of the truth most clearly surfaces.


The clearer our vision of God,

the greater our desire to walk in the way of holiness


The Word says, "And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness." Isaiah 35:8


There is an old saying that says, "It's my way or the highway."


This is often seen as an ultimatum offered at a time of tension. But I wanted to re-frame that saying to read, "it's my way or the highway of holiness."


I don't always have a clear picture of God or a clear indication of His activity, but in the moments of clarity that are mine, I have a desire in my heart to walk in the "way of holiness."


Rather than praying that I would have the courage to walk in the "way of holiness" I am praying for clearer pictures of God.


I think that if I can get a glimpse of Him, I will have a greater desire to walk in His way.


Just a thought. What do you think?

No comments: