Thursday, September 11, 2008

Inspector

Do you remember the guy in the white truck? The Baton Rouge Building Inspector?

He is the guy that showed up and announced, "you guys are doing it all wrong."

Well....He shut our work down yesterday and reprimanded us for working without a permit. He hoarsely gave us instructions about the necessity of getting a permit.

After he left we made the arrangements and within two hours we had a building permit.

One of the last things he said as he left us was, "ya gotta have an inspection. No more work until you get the inspection."

After calling for an inspection we got to the job early this morning and we waited. We waited and waited. The inspector was nowhere in sight.

Finally a decision was made to start working. Yes, you guessed it we were going to begin working without an inspection.

Rain was on the horizon and we had to get the shingles on the house. So we started.

45 minutes into the work, guess who showed up?

The Building Inspector. Same white truck, but a DIFFERENT person.

He wanted to talk with me so I nervously got down from the roof. He asked a few questions and then thanked us for volunteering our time to make a difference in his city. He said, "you probably didn't need a permit so I am going to sign off on the final inspection. Keep working and have a great day!"

I ran back up the ladder with a new surge of energy and gratitude to a God who hears the prayers of His children.

The homeowners father had called the Mayor of Baton Rouge and the City Councilman to register a complaint. A threat was made to contact the local news affiliate to bring attention to the plight of non-profit volunteers that are slowed down by government bureaucracy. None of that brought about the results.

It was prayer.

One final thought...our Nazarene Disaster Response team this week saved this homeowner nearly $10,000 in costs associated with cleaning up the devastation caused by Hurricane Gustav.

Tonight, Annette, the homeowner will come home to a home that is cleared of all of the debris in the front yard. She will rest knowing that even if it rains the inside of her home will be dry.

I am riding on I-55 North in central Mississippi as I write these words. I am tired, but renewed after spending a week in Baton Rouge. I am saddened by the losses I have seen but comforted by the hope in the eyes of people we were able to help. I rest in the assurance that God is at work and I am thankful that He allows me to be a part of what He is doing.

pictures of this project will be posted shortly

No comments: