Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall

It is hard to believe that fall is right around the corner in our neck of the woods. While others are sweltering in torrid heat, we are seeing leaves on trees turn colors. The autumn air is coming our way and we are anxiously awaiting its arrival.



Late last fall we carved pumpkins on the deck. We laughed and enjoyed an afternoon of culinary carvings.



I was assigned the responsibility of cleaning up the pumpkin guts.


I did the best I could but there were a few seeds left over and I brushed them off the deck into the flower bed beside the deck.



Imagine my surprise when a huge vine emerged from underneath the warm spring soil. Thinking it was a weed, I made a mental note to pull it later. Time got away from me and before long the huge vine began to sport yellow flowers followed by small green gourd shaped objects.



Then the sun kissed the green objects and turned them into orange pumpkins.


I have watched them all summer and tonite I took the big butcher knife outside and harvested the pumpkins. I don't know if it is the right time or not but cool weather is coming and I have already seen pumpkins at the grocery store, so now I have three pumpkins.


One is going to my son.



One is going to my daughter.

And we will keep one for ourselves.


Fall is here and it is my favorite time of the year. The harvest (three pumpkins) is done for our small farm.


We used to sing a song at Thanksgiving that had these words....


"All is safely gathered in
ere the winter storms begin"



We will carve the pumpkins soon....then we will be shovelling snow....

No comments: