Saturday, September 20, 2008

Family


Over the last several days I have had the opportunity to be with my extended family. Many people live in close proximity to their family and have the privilege of seeing them often. Unfortunately, we do not get to visit each other as often as we would like so we try to take full advantage of the times when we are together.


I am in Houston for my nieces wedding.


We participated in all of the activities leading up to today's wedding. We ran errands, moved tables, decorated tables for the reception, rehearsed for the wedding, and attended the rehearsal dinner. It was cool to be together and to watch the anticipation and excitement.


Last night after all of the wedding eve festivities, my wife and I stopped by Panera Bread to enjoy coffee with my aunt who lives in Phoenix. She is my mother's sister.


We sat outside in the fresh Houston air and watched the sun set over the Texas Horizon. We sipped coffee, shared stories, laughed, swapped lies, sipped coffee, told childhood stories, sipped coffee until the half moon rose in the night sky.


I listened as my aunt regaled us with stories, many of which I had already heard and some which were new to me. I had lots of questions as we talked about family and I felt as though she was a link to a past I was to young to remember.


All families have stories.


Last night the stories told around the Panera Bread table encouraged my heart by reminding me of the rich heritage that is mine. I laughed when I heard some of the stories because they reminded me that our family is "human" and that we do not have it all together. Some of them helped me to better understand why I am the way I am and that even if I had it all together I wouldn't remember where I put it.


Finally, after the coffee was gone and the stories were told, I said, "let me tell one more story," and I did. It was a funny story about my uncle. We laughed.


I am thankful for a family that is strong enough to laugh together, live together, laugh together and last together.


Today we add another member to our family and I have the privilege of pronouncing them husband and wife.


I am heading off to the wedding


2 comments:

Don and Shirley said...

Wish we could be there but I know you will do our family proud.

Unknown said...

Don't worry he did!