Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike




I have had a lot of questions about Hurricane Ike and its effects on the Gulf Coast. I have been asked if we will deploy a team to aid in the recovery efforts in Texas or Louisiana. Here is the latest information that I have.




The damage has been extensive in the Lake Charles, Louisiana and its surrounding areas. Galveston has been devastated by the effects of storm surge, winds and rain. Houston still continues to struggle to regain electricity as of this afternoon.




I am not aware of any assessments from Nazarene Disaster Response yet, however the District has a coordinator responsible for these assessments. I am certain that over the next several days there will be additional information updating the needs and ways that we can respond.




On a side note...I leave in the morning for Houston, Texas to conduct the wedding of my niece and her fiance on Saturday.




While in Houston, I will scope out the area and see what is unfolding.




I should have a better understanding of the needs upon my return late Saturday evening.




Several have already offered to go and be a part of either a "first response" team or a "response team." It is thrilling to see people who are willing to go and be a part of helping people whose lives have been devastated by Ike.




I do not have any dates or plans for teams. If we are contacted, I will be in touch.




Stay tuned.