Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chesterton


I am a big fan of the writings of G. K. Chesterton. I don't agree with everything he writes and there are times that he leaves me scratching my head, but I resonate with this quote....


The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting:

it has been found difficult and left untried.


I just returned from the Emergency Room of our local hospital. I was visiting one of the saints of the church who over the years has not only tasted the faith, but has been nourished by her faith.


Although she was not feeling well, when I held her hand and prayed for her she grasped my hand with a tenacious grip.


Holding her hand I was reminded of three things.


First, in the midst of grim circumstances, He holds our hand....tenaciously! Remember it is us who loosens our grip, not Him.


Second, in the uncertainties of life, He stands as a constant in the middle of our muddle.


Third, in the turbulence of life, He is a "storm-calmer."


She held my hand firmly even though her body is frail. She held my hand firmly even though she does not know the prognosis. She held my hand firmly to remind me to hold His hand in a similar way.


I went to encourage her and her family, yet I walked away with greater encouragement than I was able to offer her.


She has "tried...tasted and tested" her faith. Seeing her lying on the gurney in the Emergency Room reminded me that her faith was standing the pressure of the moment.


If her faith can stand then so can mine. Thanks to a "woman of faith" for a great reminder!

No comments: