Friday, January 7, 2011

Antiques

It's an old story...and a long one at that...It's not original to me, but every time I hear it, I find it amusing. I have abridged it to make it more readable and enjoyable.

Jerry is the main character in the story. His profession is antique shop owner. His travels take him across the countryside looking for valuable antiques to purchase for a pittance and sell for a profit.

Here is where we pick up the story.

One afternoon he drove into a small town in rural Kentucky.  After checking into the local flea bag hotel, Jerry went out to look over the town. It wasn't long before he hit pay dirt. Ahead was a small country store with a crowded front porch, an obvious indicator of hidden treasurers inside.

Entering through the front door, his eyes caught an attractive bowl on the floor in the corner. Quietly he wandered over for a closer look only to discover it was a rare antique Chinese carved coconut bowl dating back to the 18th or 19th century. He knew its value was inestimable.

The thought crossed his mind that the value of that one bowl was worth more than the complete contents of the country store. Jerry was certain that the owner of the store had no idea of its value.

The owner had it filled with milk and a beautiful Persian cat was drinking out of it.

Trying not to show his hidden delight, Jerry wanted that bowl. He devised a simple plan to purchase the bowl, however his early church upbringing kicked in reminding him that he should "treat others as he would like to be treated."

Gathering his courage he walked nonchalantly over to the owner of the country store and said, "That's a beautiful cat you have there. How much would you take for her?"

"Oh, the cat's not for sale," said the owner. "She keeps the store free of mice."

"I gotta have her, she is the most beautiful cat I have seen in a long time. And on top of that my daughter loves cats and I know she would love this one." Jerry countered.

"Tell you what, I'll give you $100 for her."

The owner laughed, "She's not really worth it," laughed the owner, "but if you want her that badly, she's yours."

Jerry picked up the cat and started walking out.

Quickly, he turned around and said to the store owner, "Hey listen, I'm stayin' at the motel down the road apiece."

"I need something to feed this cat from," continued Jerry, "let me throw in another $10 for the bowl she's drinking out of."

The store owner replied, "Oh, I could never do that. It is my prized possession. Somebody told me it came from China. Funny thing, though! Since I've had it, I've sold 17 cats."

What's the moral of the story?  Sometimes things are what they seem.

Keep your eyes open today to see the possibilities for what they are.

No comments: