Sunday, January 2, 2011

He's Wright

He's Wright. N.T. Wright that is. I love his writing content and style. Recently I ran across a provocative and insightful thought that Wright wrote.


He says..."We honor and celebrate our complexity and simplicity by continually doing five things. We tell stories...we act our rituals...we create beauty...we work in communities...we think about beliefs." Simply Christian, p.48




His words made me think.


Am I doing any of those, all of those or some of those?


I love to tell stories...I lead people acting out rituals...sometimes I create beauty...I work in community...and I think about beliefs often.


But when I inventory my life, it makes me wonder about how effective I am in each of these areas.


It makes me wonder if there are some areas where I excel and others where I don't.


The key to this whole process is Wright's words, "we honor and celebrate our complexity and simplicity by continually doing five things."


"Complexity" and "simplicity"...I get those things. The other five? I'm not always sure.


Here's the bottom line, Complexity and simplicity are best expressed in the rhythms of grace which allow us to tell stories, act out our rituals, create beauty, work in communities, and think about beliefs.


So, today I am going to tell a few stories...that'll be a start.


When I think about what I want to do with my life, I want to do what's Wright, NT Wright that is.


So, today I'm committing to working on the big 5 more intentionally. That's not a resolution, that's a necessity.




No comments: