Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Huh?

Growing up I loved to read the comics in the daily newspaper.

Every afternoon the paper boy would ride by the house and hurl the rubber banded paper on or near the front porch. You never quite knew where the paper would land.Wherever it landed, I would retrieve it.

Back to the comic strips.

One of my favorites was an old character named Andy Capp.

He had an argumentative contemptuous relationship with his wife who was constantly nagging him about his laziness and lack of energy.

Following a heated argument Andy retired to the sofa.

Exasperated his wife muttered, "What's the point of me being on speaking terms with you when you're not on listening terms?" 

Huh?

It has been a long time since I have thought about that comic strip and the feel of the newspaper.  I won't forget the black ink smudges on my hands and fingers after reading the comic strips.

It would be easy to be distracted by all of that and miss the point.

I wonder how much "speaking" I miss because I am not on "listening terms?"

Do I miss important words from those around me because I am not listening?

More importantly, do I fail to hear God's voice because I am not paying attention to His activity in my life?

All of these questions cause me to think about my need to improve my "listening terms." It is not easy in a world which constantly assaults and deafens pilgrims on the journey.

One of the reasons why I am not always on "listening terms" is because  my voice is the one that is often the one "speaking." So my prayer in these days is that I would be "slow to speak and quick to listen."

Say what?

1 comment:

Darrel Harvey said...

so glad to see you back in the blogosphere