Thursday, January 6, 2011

Freshmen

That is the word used to describe new legislators taking office this month in Washington D.C.  Already there are accusations and rancor among the newly elected and the established power brokers in the halls of government.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Yesterday John McCain was interviewed on the Today Show. Matt Lauer, Today Show host, asked him about his tenure and about the newly elected politicos arriving to take their new responsibilities.

McCain said, "The first six months the freshmen ask themselves, 'How did I get here?' The next six months they ask themselves, 'How did they get here?'"

Two very interesting questions.

There have been times when I have asked the question, "How did I get here?"  There have been moments when I have felt like calling home or my office and asking, "Can you trace this call and tell me where I'm at?"

There are times I have looked around in moments of frustration and have asked, "How did they get here?"

These questions are not bad questions to ask ourselves. How we answer them can determine the way each day unfolds.

We are where we are for a reason and people are where they are for a reason. That's a long way of saying, "it is what it is."

I hope all those freshmen legislators figure out how they got where they are. It makes me wonder how effective they will be if they can't figure out something that simple.

No comments: