Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mystery

"We live in mystery...yet believe everything is known." 
--British Playwright, Christopher Fry

I have watched people for a long time. It is amazing how people wander through life and give the appearance they have everything figured out. Watching people also reminds me that there are times when we think we know more than at other times in our life.


I have a theory that high school students are probably at the apex of their intellectual life as they near graduation. Younger people often act like they know more than their elders. People who aren't parents know more about raising children than people who have kids. We often look at situations and have opinions even though we don't have all of the facts.

19th century German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer said, "The first forty years of life gives us the text: the next thirty years supply the commentary."


I am now living in the "commentary" phase of my life.


The things that I used to "know" now seem to be more of a "mystery." 

And, by the way, I'm OK with that.

No comments: