Sunday, January 23, 2011

Listening

Dilbert appears in the comic section of nearly 2000 newspapers around the world.  It is the brainchild of Scott Adams who regularly points out the foibles of white collar offices and micro-managers.


I love reading it.


I always see other people I know in his comic strips. Often times I laugh out loud and then realize that I am the subject of his drawings.


Several weeks ago I saw this cartoon and laughed.

Adams highlights two very important aspects of contemporary culture. "Nothing I say in meetings actually means anything."  And, then in response to, "Why do you talk?" these words..."I tried listening once. It was awful."


More words are spoken everyday than in any other time in the history of the world, yet there is little "added value" in most cases. Meetings are held, summits are called and cohorts meet. The result?  Well, you judge for yourself.


The question is real. "Why do you talk?


The answer is even more frightening, "I tried listening once. It was awful."


Dilbert's cartoons are prophetic and pathetic assessments of where we are in our discourse as a community.


What if we are called to use quality words rather than quantity of words?  What if there is no honor in wearing people down with our words?  What if we believed that "words mean things?"


Today, I think I am going to be "slow to speak and quick to listen." If I am successful, I think I will have more time today than I did yesterday.

No comments: