Friday, January 14, 2011

Fascination

I wasn't ready for what I read.

I had to put the article down and catch my breath.


"To all my non-believing,sort-of-believing, and used-to-be-believing friends: I feel like I should begin with a confession. I am sorry that so often the biggest obstacle to God has been Christians. Christians who have had so much to say with our mouths and so little to show with our lives. I am sorry that so often we have forgotten the Christ of Christianity.."

Shane Claiborne, writing in Esquire wrote those powerful words.


This powerful apology is necessitated by the scandalous ways many live out their Christian faith. Necessary because many Christians aren't living out their faith under the terms of the Gospel. Necessary because of the spiritual anemia so prevalent in the Body of Christ.

He goes on to say, "The more I read and studied the life of Jesus, the more I have become convinced that Christianity spreads best not through force but fascination."

Fascination...now there's a novel approach to propagating the faith. It smacks of  the necessity of being close enough to someone that they will be fascinated by what they see. Not fascination from afar, but fascination up close.

Are you living close enough to others that they will be "fascinated" by the presence of Christ in your life? Do you have relationships with others who are searching?  What do they see in your life that would convince them of the viability of being a serious Christ-follower?

I'm not talking about having a superior knowledge of Scripture. I am not talking about a degree in theology. I am not even talking about being a "super-Christian." I'm just asking if your are in a relationship with others, a relationship that "fosters fascination?"

"Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."  Matthew 5:16 (The Message)

Oh, I forgot to mention the name Claiborne's article in Esquire, "What if Jesus Meant All That Stuff?"

Fascinating!

No comments: