Sunday, January 9, 2011

Doubt

"Those who believe they believe in God but without passion in the heart, without anguish of mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, and even at times without despair, believe only in the idea of God, and not in God himself." --Madeleine L'Engle

Living in a culture of cynicism and shallow thinking, doubt can easily crowd its way into the hearts and minds of serious pilgrims.

Recently I was reading the personal writings of a senior saint who has been rock solid in his faith for nearly sixty years. From an outward perspective you would think that he had "figured out the faith" and was simply enjoying the journey as he neared the gates of heaven.

To my surprise he posed questions and mused about many things in the Bible. He pondered matters of faith and yet he maintained a solid commitment to God. He even expressed doubt in some areas.

It makes me wonder if doubt is an integral part of shaping our faith. It makes me wonder if we really believe that the God we serve is able to withstand our questions and doubts or if we fear He will wither under our inquiry?

My friend, the man of faith for sixty years, would say, "the God I serve is big enough to stand up to my any questions or doubts that I have."

It is possible to have doubts and questions and yet  have a vibrant faith. It is possible that our doubts and questions are what shapes our faith in all of its expressions.

You may say, "I doubt it." but don't rule it out until you have taken the time to consider it.

Max DePree said it this way, "We do not grow by knowing all of the answers, but rather by living with the questions."

The writer of the book of Jude in the New Testament makes a startling statement, "keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life." And then he writes these words, "be merciful to those who doubt." 1:22-23.

That's my plan for today...I am going to be merciful to those who doubt. My guess is that I will have plenty of opportunities for mercy. 

No comments: