Monday, January 3, 2011

Candles or Chandeliers


This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine

I remember clearly singing that song when I was a child.

I am not completely sure what that song is about when I consider the immensity of God's grace and that He is the Light of the world. It seems paltry that I would sing a song about a "little light" even if it is mine.

All of this got me thinking...

Several weeks ago I ran across a quote on Twitter that said, "I would rather light a candle in the darkness than hang another chandelier in the fellowship hall."

Now that is something I can understand.

It has made me wonder if the church I attend is more interested in "lighting candles in the darkness" or "hanging another chandelier in the fellowship hall?"

Churches that "light candles in the darkness" recognize darkness must be dispelled and are intentional about doing so. They do it in a variety of ways. They take risks. They break the rules of conventional wisdom.

The result? Light is brought into dark places and hope is celebrated.

Churches who are adept at "hanging another chandelier in the fellowship hall" are inwardly focused and are more concerned about adding light to existing light.

The result? Light is introduced again and again into places and nothing changes, there's just more light.

I suspect that we don't need more lights, we just need to take The Light to dark places. Today I will punch holes in the darkness and celebrate hope.

What would happen if we sold the chandelier in the fellowship hall to finance taking the Light into the world?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. I have missed reading your stuff.