Saturday, January 22, 2011

Grandpa

The phone rang last Thursday morning.  That day is reserved every week for writing, reflection and attention to my journey as a pilgrim. I was at my favorite writing haunt and my phone rang.

I recognized the voice.

It was my daughter. I knew that she had been to the doctor, but I was not prepared for her announcement. 

I was expecting one thing and she was expecting another. Me? I was expecting to hear that they were thinking about starting a family and were faced with some challenges. I was expecting to be an encouragement to her as Dads are supposed to be.

Her?  She is expecting...a baby. Yep, you got it she is "with child." A Miracle!

I had to sit down to absorb the news.

I have seen dozens of sonograms. Most of them look like a weather map with a serious cool front system about to move into the area.  Not this one, I know exactly what I am looking at.

A baby!

Grandpas...I know a lot of them. 

Grandpa...I had two of them.  One I knew a little bit and one I can't remember.


Grandpa...my kids have two, both alive and known by them.


Grandpa...my brother is one.


Grandpa....I am about to become one.


Seriously! What does that mean?

It means that my heart capacity has grown exponentially since I first heard the news.
It means that I will hold in my arms what I have always desired in my heart.
It means that I will add one more name to the list of things that I talk to God about.
It means that what little money I have will have one more place to go.
It means that I will lay awake at night thinking about all of the stories I will tell.


It doesn't mean that I plan on purchasing a muscle shirt with the words..."Grandpas my name...spoiling's my game" emblazoned on it.


I may do some of that, but I am not buying a t-shirt to announce it.


Oh, by the way...I am planning on taking off August 27th this year...maybe even a few days before and after.


1 comment:

Heidi Winter Tracht said...

Congrats and enjoy! How very exciting for all of you!