Tuesday, January 4, 2011

True Stories

Bertolt Brecht was a German poet, storyteller and playwright.

He told provocative stories that piqued the interest of both listeners and theater goers. He wrote plays and produced them in some of Germany's finest venues. He saw the theater as more than an arena for entertainment.

Brecht saw it as a platform for communicating ideologies and thoughts which would initiate societal change.

He built a reputation as a provocateur throughout his short life.

At the conclusion of a breathtaking story Brecht was asked by an adoring fan, "Herr Brecht, what a wonderful story you have just told us! Is it true?"

Pausing the playwright, storyteller and poet responded, "Of course not. If it were true, it would not have been a good story."

Stories have powerful ways to reveal blind spots on our journey. Narratives told well have ways of removing the obscurities of our life. Some stories raise more questions than they answer.

The story is often told of people who seek the advice of their rabbis. Expecting an insightful answer to their probing questions, they heard words like, "let me tell you a story."

A story is very different than an answer, although answers can be found in the best told stories.

I have told a lot of stories in my life. I have often been asked, "Is that true?"

Admittedly, there have been times when I have embellished stories to create an effect. There have been times when I couldn't find the right story and I have crafted a story that brings a punch to the point. There are also times when I have told the story without any "extras" or "explanations."

I would love to have had the opportunity to meet Bertolt Brecht. It wouldn't really matter whether the stories he told were true or not.

Why? Because I love a good story.

In the words of Maya Angelou, "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."

Tell someone a great story today!